Sunday, May 10, 2009

Some observations

Just a few personal observations about people here at Gainesville, Florida. These may be sweeping generalizations, but i would love to hear different opinions. I may be broaching sensitive territory here, but i have seen how so many Indian students manage to come to UF and live EXACTLY the same way as if they were attending college in Delhi, Bangalore or Mumbai, and never explore new waters. The following lines may be helpful if you plan to come to the US.

1. "Oh, I can see why you felt that way. I would have done the same if i were you." They love to convey sincerity and belongingness. People would honestly share what they think and how they are feeling when spoken to. A question like "How are you today?" could lead to long, honest discourses at times. They assume that you are friendly, till you take pangas,  and would answer your questions as relevantly as possible.

They appreciate eye-to-eye contact; sincere, unbiased dialogue; and would convey emotion through the tone of their voice. 

Again, "Convey" is the operational word. In case you plan to come to the US, don't mistake people's expressions of belongingness for meaning that they really belong to you. That requires a few advance courses :) It would be a huge mistake to start talking about what you think is wrong about people, place, the weather, or anything. Be very wary of cribbing and bitching in general. Don't abuse the hospitality and stay on guard, as people's true opinions would probably require a few drinks to emerge. 

2. "I am loving this!" Americans strive to express that they are "In Control" and  "there is nothing to worry about" in a friendly, energetic, polite way. They know how to turn on the charm. Confidence, and belongingness, is a heady cocktail.

3. Indian role moels are "responsible", "caring" and "respectful". We are hard-wired to respect a personality type resembling lord Rama. American role models would probably be "accomplished", "caring" and "indpendent". Peel away the good-natured exterior, and you see an intensely competitive human being. People are busy sizing each other up discreetly. Competitiveness and survival are virtues people admire strongly, IF these are combined with strong "self-control" and "fair play". This is an individual's society. 

4. Americans love to play (compete). I have already written how hugely fanatical they are about sports and physical activity.

5. They are very planned and informed about their actions. They are terrified of screwing up or coming across as a fake. "Credibility" is a very big deal, and you need to do what you say, and say what you mean.
If what you mean may not be socially palatable, don't say it.

6. Alcohol is a means to finding escape from being planned and orderly and to be silly. People are very self-conscious and afraid to make mistakes, and they rely on the booze to loosen these chains. 

What a huge market for teaching the Sudarshan Kriya! Awesome!

Would love to discuss more on the same. 
Jai Gurudeva!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would love to hear more on the same!

Jai guru dev!

aparna said...

grt 2 know!!!
JGD

a people observer

Faith Lasts said...

umm I was actually thinking about thiss...umm forget it I really have no clue ;p

I mean Yesterday only I discussed with my AOL teacher how I wish I could run away from this place..India..delhi..I mean its Ok.
But people are rude!
On the roads, in the mall . ALmost Everywhere here!!

So I told her how difficult it feels to be respected !

and how in the US everyone, the comon man would treat everyone with basic dignity and courtesy
and basically give them SPACE, even literally

And then I went on cribbing about how HOT this place can be, and the pollution etc

....Par kuch baat toh hai...I am glad I talked to her and read this post..
This running away from here deal was Eating me up!

I guess in the End Its Equal like 80-20 principle

or maybe its not equal..may be I am really lucky to be Living here ..to have been born in India..

I think I need know my country more

Jai Gurudev

Unknown said...

@bhaw: trust me i know what you are feeling...i was born a delhiite and did my engineerng there as well, and i know how harsh it can be...and yet, it is a blesing that this is so, because only in the harshness can you begin to truly apply the knowledge. gurui says that knowledge is meant for lions...and living in Delhi allowed me to appreciate the knowledge so much more...

Over the last 11 odd years that i have been with AOL, i have realized one thing, my environment is totally created by my own mind...with the knowledge i can master how i feel in any given situation, and once that is achieved, then nothing in the world can ever bother me..JGD!

Faith Lasts said...

WOW thats sooo beautiful and makes so much sense :-)

Jai Gurudev

Living knowledge is so Magical!!

Unknown said...

@bhaw: yes to a lucky few knowledge makes sense

komal said...

@ abhishek i read ur comments to bhaw.. im a delhiite too and yes what you said about the knowledge is true its all in our own heads... wow 11 years an aolite?amazing ... ill be there is few years too...and maybe u should just start a yes+in ur uni campus to start out with ...

Unknown said...

@komal: yep we will have AOL here soon

Jonathan Boress said...

I stumbled across your blog while checking my MBA email online. I'm in the two year traditional cohort that's heading into its second year in the fall. My own class of 35 students has 6 from India.

You may be making "sweeping generalizations," but nonetheless I've found your insights fascinating. I'll make a generalization of my own:

Many of us Americans don't take the time to look at what's going on around us. We don't examine the social machinery. Many of us aren't introspective, either. And yet, we're very sure of ourselves and the correctness of our own opinions.

So it is refreshing to read your words about your experiences here. You're making a much greater effort to see your surroundings than most of us would. Keep it up! I'd love to read your observations as you continue through the program.

ShareThis