Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Some Navaratri Buzz

Plenty has been spoken (and written) on the wonders of Navaratri. Here is one of the best articles, in Guruji's words, on Bau's blog. 

Navaratri is a time of rejuvenation. In the Bangalore ashram, we experience the transformation and the divinity. We hear of th
e power of silence but how can one express the blooming of infinity which unfurls here behind closed eyes! Waves of silence wash over your emotions and your mind, dissolving all rajas and tamas leaving you in bright, joyful sattva.

The divine showers love in mysterious ways. On the day of the Chandi homa, I was sitting rapt in meditation in one corner of the yagna shala. The silence and the energy were so beautiful that i decided that i would not move nor open my eyes. No sooner than i had thought this, a fly came and sat on the corner of my left eye. As i had committed to keeping my mowna, i did not move. The fly mistook my stoicness for silent assent and it decided to utilise the opportunity to make its presence felt more prominently - so it started walking on my eyelashes, fluttering both its wings to beat on my eyelids. In this moment of heightened awareness, i remembered Guruji's words, "In satyuga, apsaras would descend from heavens to disturb the meditation of rishis. The role is taken up by mosquitos and fleas in the
 kalyuga." Assuming that my present tormentor was an apsara in some past incarnation greatly simplified things. 

Mysteriously, the fly read my thoughts and it slowed its pace, s-l-o-w-l-y reaching and settling down in the corner of my left eye. By now my eyes were watering, not entirely out of bliss. I felt more determined to keep my eyes shut and my meditation steady. The fly 
was completely enjoying this unopposed freedom and it decided to tour around my eyebrows. So off it started, walking slowly and beating its wings, tracing the line of my left eyebrow. Even the apsara fantasy was not very helpful this time. Strangely, I was also feeling very calm 
somewhere, as i watched the intense discomfort rise and rise. By then, the fly was bored and it hopped off onto my right eye and started it routine again. This drama had already lasted 5 minutes and i allowed my baser nature to prevail as i took a huge swipe at the fly, who flew off.

I was feeling a bit low to have given in and was thinking maybe i could have been more patient and allowed the fly to go away on its own. Instantly, the buzzing returned and something familiar landed atop my left ear. The fly had started another flapping serenade along the contours of my left ear. This time i was less agreeable to share myself, and i shood the fly away almost instantly. 

Once it was gone, i was at ease. However, a faint voice whispered "I am tough. I could have probably put up with it." And instantly, it was back, tickling me on the side of my neck. This time, there were no murmurs of protests within me and i felt a beautiful acceptance dawning within me for myself as i planned how to murder the pest. The mind-reader fly flew off and did not return this time.
I remembered my first visit to the ashram when someone had told me that "The air in the ashram is full of love. You can just 'feel' it." He did not specify how.

Despite all this happening my heart was completely at rest, nourished by the mantras and the pooja. That day i experienced how it is possible to be peaceful and loving even in the midst of intense discomfort. And i felt gratitude towards Guruji, who despite being so pure and perfect, is always present to take care and to lighten your burdens no matter how rough your behavior, situations or speech may be. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW.. SOUNDS LIKE MY EXPERIENCE TOO... :) I EXPERIENCED IT WITH A MOSQUITO! HERE!! :) ULTIMATE BLISS!! :)

jAI GURUDEV!

komal said...

wow sounds like.. sounds interesting...... seems the ultimate experince and i wish i was there.......

Vivek Barun said...

you have been tagged by me . kindly visit my blog for details.

Anonymous said...

not a regular blogger huh???

waiting for your next post!

ShareThis